Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hillsdale- Hillsdale Bank Bar-B-Q

View from the road. I wish I could give you a smell from the road.


The old cliché, “a diamond in the rough”, is a bit overused these days, but I can’t think of a better way to describe “Hillsdale Bank Bar-B-Q” in Hillsdale, KS. Nestled into the town’s old bank building, is one of the best kept secrets in the entire Kansas City area. The 20 minute drive south on Highway 169 from Olathe is definitely worth it for this barbeque!

While I was there, I tried a pork rib platter, with pork burnt ends as my second meat choice in the meal. The platter came with two sides of my choice plus an order of delicious hand-cut fries, and the obligatory bread slices and pickle too. My wife had a pulled pork sandwich with potato salad. 

Hungry?


The ribs were cooked about as well as they can get. They were meaty and tender and were served with just a hint of sauce on them to complement the rub. I sampled some of the pork from my wife’s sandwich and it passed all tests! It was tender, had a nice smoky flavor, and maintained moistness without compromising leanness.

The pork burnt ends were the star of the show, as far as I was concerned. They were fork tender and had all kinds of the “bark” on them that really delivers the deep smoke and rub flavor that a barbeque judge looks for.

None of the three of the meats required sauce to be tasty as far as I was concerned, but the Hillsdale Bank BBQ sauce, simply known as “The Sauce” still had a place at the table. It is a superb sauce that makes a great compliment to the outstanding quality and taste of the meat.
Take a look inside the bank with Wired BBQ and I am sure you will enjoy the indoor décor and exposed brick walls in the old building. The bank is both entertaining and interesting, really adding to the dining experience. When the meal was all said and done, it was certainly safe to say that the owners of Hillsdale Bank Bar-B-Q, Greg and Donna Beverlin, certainly know how to cook a pig! One could even say, you can bank on it! 

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment